Sourcebook on solitary confinement (English)
The Sourcebook on solitary confinement provides a comprehensive single point of reference on solitary confinement, its documented health effects, and professional, ethical and human rights guidelines and codes of practice relating to its use. It is hoped that the Sourcebook will encourage policy makers and prison managers to put in place safeguards and mechanisms to limit the use of solitary confinement and to mitigate its harmful consequences.
Work on the Sourcebook was carried out with the generous support of the Nuffield Foundation's Access to Justice Programme.
Shalev, S. (2008) A Sourcebook on Solitary Confinement.
London: Mannheim Centre for Criminology, London School of Economics.
Available online at: www.solitaryconfinement.org/sourcebook
Copyright © Sharon Shalev 2008
The right of Sharon Shalev to be identified as the author of this work has been asserted in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. As we wish to encourage the widespread use of the Sourcebook, users are permitted to copy and distribute the material without having to seek formal permission or to pay a fee, provided that:
- The material is reproduced accurately and not in a misleading context
- The material is correctly acknowledged and the author's name appears on the work or the excerpt
- A copy of the publication containing the material is sent to the author
- No charge shall be made for the copy containing the work or the excerpt
- No translation of the material may be produced without the expressed permission of the author.
A Sourcebook on Solitary Confinement by Sharon Shalev is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.